Friday, 21 November 2008
3 medium onions
3-4 sweet potatoes, peeled
1 1/2 cups beans
1 cup barley
3-4 carrots, peeled
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (NOT crushed)
5-7 cups water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons ground fennel
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon flavored salt, flavoured (i.e. celery salt or Herbamare Original salt)
1/4 teaspoon basil
1 dash pepper
1 dash smoked paprika
1 dash garlic powder (optionally crush a clove of garlic)
- Cut the onions and sweet potatoes into large pieces and add to the crock pot.
- Add the barley and beans (I tend to use a mixture of navy/black eyed/red kidney beans -- also remember to either soak/boil the beans or buy them in a can!).
- Coin the carrots very thinly (~2 millimetres thick) and add to the pot.
- Now to make the sauce. Strain the liquid from the tomatoes into a medium-sized bowl containing the dry ingredients (everything but the water). Toss the tomato pieces into the crock pot.
- Stir up the sauce mixture and check the taste. Adjust anything that doesn't fit your palatte.
- Add the sauce mixture and add water to fill up to just below covering the vegetables.
- Add a kishke (I'll be adding a recipe for that soon) to the top if desired.
- Cover the crock pot and turn on low.